Saturday, April 21, 2012

Out With The Old, In With The Old

In preparation for this month's GNO (Girls Night Out) which is an 80's themed shindig, I have spend this past week coming to grips with the fact that I have been dressing in 80's attire since, well ... the 80's.  Before you starting high fiving each other thinking old Sally girl is totally rad and sending me mad props for my coolness, let me preface this blog by mentioning that they are not the "cool" 80's clothes.  Ha Ha, Nope.  More like a Wham/Golden Girls clothing line.  The discovery started off with coolots and have zigzagged their way up to the shirts, makeup and hair; back down again to the shoes.  Everything I need for tonight can be found in my supposedly present day closet. 


Unfortunately finding a time capsule in my closet is not the worst of my problems, apparently I am so crazy about my dated clothing line that I gravitate back to it in the local Thrift Store and buy the damn things all over again!  What kind of sicko 80's diva am I?  I am totally not kidding.  For the past 2 days I have scoured the local thrift and dollar stores; purchasing a few items for my party tonight and have been super excited about my finds.  Last night while showing off my bounty of 80's coolness to my husband, he calmly makes an observation that some of the items look vaguely familiar.  Familiar like:  The ones you just took to Goodwill last month during your monthly I hate all my clothes meltdown.  I kid you not.  It's bad enough I had the freaking clothes still hanging in my closet 20 years past their prime and still being worn BUT I purchased them for the SECOND time and brought them back into my home to put on my "not 1980's" body!!!  Who freaking does that?  Stunned, I began putting away the 80's makeup I had also just purchased for the party only to find it's mate already chilling out in my makeup bag.  Dear Sweet Baby Jesus.  Unless you are a Drag Queen or 5 years old, there really isn't a legitimate excuse for owning frosted pink lipstick after 1982.  Come to find out, that is except if you are me.  

Nevertheless, I am super excited about partying it up Madonna style tonight with my gal pals.  Some of us have been friends for 5, 10, 15+ years and others have been since junior high, back in their true 80's heyday.   I'll be showing up in all my 80's diva glory with a six pack of Purple Passion and the coolest Ray Baners the Dollar Store has to offer.  Maybe I am destined to only be attracted to the tackiest grandma style of only one decade which happens to be the 1980's, and at this point I'm leaning very strongly on that theory.  But it can always be worse.  I could be a nudist with frosted pink lipstick.


Now how would you explain that to the neighbors?









No comments:

Post a Comment